Originally aired on Thursday, April 2nd, 2020
As districts and schools seek to support every student through a Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), common challenges are emerging.
Educators are looking at and using students’ academic, behavioral, and social-emotional learning (SEL) data to identify which students need additional supports and to provide appropriate interventions at each tier. However, districts struggle to set up data systems and “human systems” that will enable them to fulfill the promises of equity and positive student outcomes.
Watch this interactive Q&A with district and school leaders to learn about what’s working in their districts to make MTSS a success. We'll cover:
- Providing all students with an effective, preventative Tier 1 base of support
- Responding to students’ needs for additional supports by understanding root causes of students’ needs
- Offering targeted interventions across academics, behavior, and social-emotional learning
- Bringing data together through data system interoperability
- Coordinating school-wide practices and expectations
Edward Foote, Principal, Penn Yan Elementary
Laura Baker M.Ed., Director of Student Services, Bastrop Independent School District
Mark Medley, Behavior RTI Coordinator, Bastrop Independent School District
Jamaal Thompson, Moderator, Panorama Education